OCMULGEE RIVER SOIL & WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
During the 1930s Dust Bowl disaster, Congress passed legislation declaring soil and water conservation a national policy and priority. In 1937 President Roosevelt wrote to state governors recommending legislation that would allow local landowners to form soil conservation districts. The Commission, established by the General Assembly in 1937, is charged with and empowered to provide guidance, coordination, and assistance to the district. Their primary goal is to provide maximum protection to Georgia’s soil and water resources.
The Ocmulgee River Soil and Water Conservation District was organized on February 10, 1938, and comprises Bibb, Crawford, Dooly, Houston, Macon, Peach, Pulaski, Taylor, and Wilcox Counties. The Ocmulgee River District channels the services of NRCS to cooperators, individuals, groups, and units of government, and sets priorities for the implementation of conservation practices.
Timothy Allen (Chair), Pulaski County
Lindsay “Doc” Holiday (Supervisor), Bibb County
Donald Newberry (Supervisor), Bibb County
Charlie Harris (Supervisor), Crawford County
Jimmy Moncrief (Supervisor), Crawford County
Billy Sanders (Supervisor), Dooly County
Gary Slaton (Supervisor), Macon County
George Hancock (Supervisor), Peach County
Robert Lancaster (Supervisor), Pulaski County
Jack McGlaun (Supervisor), Taylor County
Larry Stubbs (Supervisor), Wilcox County
Leon Arant (Supervisor), Wilcox County
James Warbington (Supervisor), Dooly County
Sam Morton (Supervisor), Houston County
David Muse (Supervisor), Houston County
Natural Resources Conservation Workshop
On June 14, 2018, Ocmulgee District Program Assistants along with NRCS interns attended the Natural Resources of Conservation Workshop as volunteers. While being volunteers they learned something new! Everyone thought the workshop was awesome and is excited to go again next year! The workshop had a lot to offer and Ocmulgee DPA’s and NRCS interns learned it all from fishing, archery, shooting the shot gun, as well as the helicopter wildlife water drop!
· Maintained Memoranda of Understanding with NRCS and Farm Service Agency
· Furnished assistance in developing sound conservation plans and practices.
· Membership in GACD and NACD.
· Cooperated with Pine Country RC&D Council in use of conservation tillage equipment.
· Sponsored Soil and Water Stewardship Week Poster Contest for middle school students.
· Sponsored the Natural Resources Conservation Workshop at ABAC.
· Reviewed erosion and sedimentation control plans as required by state law.
· Co-sponsored Advanced Irrigation Workshop with Central Georgia S&WCD.
· Signed off on CRP, EQIP, CSP, and other projects.
· Set priorities with NRCS local work groups.
· Participated in interviews and hiring of District Program Assistants.
· Changed monthly meeting location. Changed meeting time to 6pm year-round.
The Ocmulgee River Conservation District meets the first Thursday of every month, excluding the month of May, at 6:00 p.m. at the
AgGeorgia Farm Credit Building in Perry, Georgia.
Contact ocmulgee river soil & water conservation district
Asha Williams, District Program Assistant
Phone: (478) 987-2280, ext. 2
LaKeisha Webb, District Program Assistant
Phone: (229) 268-9106, ext. 111
Lystashia Watkins, District Program Assistant
Phone: (478) 827-0016, ext. 3